Santa is coming, have you been good this year?
Sleigh Bells will be ringing and we will be singing Christmas songs. Come join us and celebrate this joyous season as we get a visit from Santa Claus. Jolly Ole St. Nick himself will be visiting the Ely Fire Station on December 14th. Doors open at 6:30 and Santa arrives at 7:30 PM. Milk and cookies will be provided to all the good boys and girls who visit with Santa. Books will be given away to all the kids.
Holiday Safety Tips
- Any string of lights with worn, frayed or broken cords or loose bulb connections should not be used.
- Always unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree, and place them well away from tree branches.
- Try to keep live trees as moist as possible by giving them plenty of water daily. Do not purchase a tree that is dry or dropping needles.
- Choose a sturdy tree stand designed not to tip over.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire-retardant.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet (one meter) away from any heat source and try to position it near an outlet so that cords are not running long distances.
- Do not place the tree where it may block exits.
- Safely dispose of the tree when it begins dropping needles. Dried-out trees are highly flammable and should not be left in a house or garage, or placed against the house.
- APC Surge protectors are being recalled: See http://recall.apc.com/en for more information.
You can recycle your live unflocked Christmas trees purchased here in Ely!!
Drop-off Locations for live, unflocked trees:
The Parks and Recreation Department has set up two sites for disposal of live unflocked Christmas trees (trees without white snow like spray). Trees will be accepted beginning December 26 at the Sac & Fox trail parking lot, Bertram Road and Wilder Drive SE, and Prairie Park Fishery, 2125 Otis Road SE. All tinsel, ornaments, decorations, stands, watering packets, tree wrap and netting must be removed from trees prior to disposal. Flocked trees, wreaths and garland cannot be recycled. Both sites are open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Signs indicating drop off areas are posted at each location.
Trees disposed of at the Sac & Fox lot will be chipped and used by the Indian Creek Nature Center on hiking trails. Trees dropped off at Prairie Park Fishery will be placed on the ice to use as fish habitat as the ice melts in the spring.