As we enjoy the season of giving and counting our many blessings from living in Iowa, we encourage all to enjoy the lights and sounds of the Christmas Holiday season.
Santa will arrive at the Ely Fire Station at 1300 Main Street in Ely Friday December 15th at 7:30 PM. Station doors will open at 7:00 PM.
Milk and cookies will be available to all. Kids from age 1 to 15 will be able to pick a book after visiting Santa.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when setting up your own Christmas lights and decorations.
- Any string of lights with worn, frayed or broken cords or loose bulb connections should not be used.
- Always unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree, and place them well away from tree branches.
- Try to keep live trees as moist as possible by giving them plenty of water daily. Do not purchase a tree that is dry or dropping needles.
- Choose a sturdy tree stand designed not to tip over.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled as fire-retardant.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet (one meter) away from any heat source and try to position it near an outlet so that cords are not running long distances.
- Do not place the tree where it may block exits.
- Safely dispose of the tree when it begins dropping needles. Dried-out trees are highly flammable and should not be left in a house or garage, or placed against the house.
- APC Surge protectors are being recalled: See http://recall.apc.com/en for more information.
We would like to thank all the businesses for the donations that make the annual Santa visit possible in Ely.